Monday, April 18, 2011

Updates, and a weekend in Ichon.




I've got two updates.  


First off, I'm not usually one to throw clothes in the trash.  But the my shedding sweater from my first or second post has gone into the trash,  it's begun to molt for spring.  So I had to put her out to pasture.  It was starting to remind me a bit of Ramican.  Just in the taking of these pictures I had to swiffer the entire floor because of the huge amount of hair that dropped off of it.   I was considering collecting all of the fibers and saving them, making yarn, then knitting something out of it.  Maybe a sweater.










not so sad to see you go.


Update # 2  



North People


I just keep running into these.   And to be perfectly honest I hope I never see the end of them.   I stalked this guy through a subway station, but couldn't get a clear shot.   his jacket was made by the company "North People"   





Just got back from a weekend in Ichon.   Ceramics center of Korea it's called.  Mitch and I rode an easy 35 miles from my apartment to get there.  Ken brought her friend Yoon Mi  to keep her company on the hour long bus ride.   It ended up being a 60-70 degree weekend all weekend.  Perfect weekend for our inaugural bike trek of the summer.  


Also it should be noted that it is cherry blossom season.  




The mask and the lead helmet are just in case they're radioactive cherry blossoms.
























Saw some Jebus on the way.





Rode through a couple dicey tunnels.




First stop.  To buy canned tea.






Second stop.  To fix Mitch's flat.


It was a team effort.




Those are all porcelain bowls of different types mounted to the side of the hill


After we got to town we got some shrimp burgers at the McDonald's equivalent. 



Then the gals showed up and we went to see the thing that makes Ichon a place of interest.  


The ceramics village.

















Kimchi Urns
























Kiln shed



























Earthen kilns






















Ceramics shop






Ken at a stone tea table



I've started my Korean Hummel collection.









Buddha's birthday is coming up and there was a monastery on top of the hill at the end of the road in the ceramics village.








Here's what Jon's bean field pizza oven should look like.





the monastery grounds




















the bell pavilion.























the drum pavilion.







the drum.

































waiting to hear the bell toll and the drum hum as the sun sets.  













Almost nobody is immune to the digital age.  Not long after this she almost ran me over in her Mercedes SUV.  The funny thing is that I'm not kidding.  I was taking a the pictures for the panoramic above and Yoon Mi had to grab my arm, and pull me out of the way.   I am trying to get a video uploaded somewhere of the bell ringing,    Check this video out and let me know if you can see it.  












Then we got food.


























Then we got coffee.




















Then we got tired.  










Adios muchachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment